What is Adaware Secure Search? And how does it function?
Adaware Secure Search is a plugin designed by Lavasoft Security Company. It’s supposed to function as a search engine and wants users to “stay protected while searching and surfing the web with style”. Although it may seem like a legitimate search engine as it is distributed from official sources like the Chrome Web Store, it’s actually not. It is categorized as a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program as it can hijack browsers’ settings and could bring unwanted changes to a computer.
If installed, Adaware Secure Search will make several changes to the settings of your browsers and even insert additional add-ons that are as equally suspicious as Adaware Secure Search. Needless to say, browsing the web while this program is installed on your computer won’t be safe despite its claims to keep you protected. In fact, this hijacker can also track your online activities to gather information such as browsing history, IP address, OS version, and so on. And besides, what’s the point in using Adaware Secure Search if it does not even provide accurate search results since it mostly caters to sponsored content more than the related information you’re trying to look for on the internet using this extension.
How is Adaware Secure Search distributed over the web?
To successfully remove Adaware Secure Search from your computer, refer to the removal guide laid out below.
Step_1: First, you have to close the browser infected with the browser hijacker. And if you can’t close it manually, you can close it using the Task Manager instead. Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys and open the Task Manager.
Step_2: Next, look for the process of your browser, right-click on it and select End task or End process to close it.
Step_3: Afterwards, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step-4: From the list of programs installed, look for any programs that could be related to Adaware Secure Search or any suspicious program you don’t remember installing under the list of installed programs, and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step_5: After that, restart your computer and then open your browsers and reset them back to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step_6: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Adaware Secure Search.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step_7: Now you have to flush the DNS cache of your computer. To do so, right-click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step_8: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step_9: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated with the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step_10: Close the File Explorer and empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Congratulations, you have just removed Adaware Secure Search in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit fixmypcfree.com daily.
Now that’s how you remove Adaware Secure Search in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.