What is Soft Cores? And how does it work?
Soft Cores is a Trojan infection designed to infect a user’s computer and stealthily exploits its CPU resources to generate crypto currency. You can identify this Trojan by a file named Systemcore.exe which runs in the Task Manager. You can’t really identify if your computer is infected with this Trojan unless you look close enough. The only telltale signs of its existence are significant system slow-downs and other issues related to your computer’s performance.
Once Soft Cores is installed, it launches Systemcore.exe executable file and starts to mine digital currency like Bitcoins, Litecoins, Monero, and more. As a result, you will notice that all your programs opens slower, your videos stutter and some of your regular programs tend to crash. This is because the Soft Core’s mining process exploits a lot of CPU power and the computer is forced to work at a high temperature for extended periods of time which is not good for your computer as it gradually worsens your computer’s condition.
Cyber criminals take advantage of users who are not able to remove Trojan miners like Soft Cores and let it run for years. As a result, cyber criminals obtain uncountable amount of profit illegally. Aside from that, they also tend to connect the infected computers into a botnet to generate even more revenue. In addition, security experts warned that these kinds of malicious programs typically lead to other high-risk and dangerous computer infections.
How does Soft Cores spread?
Soft Cores is installed through adware or software bundles or Trojans that downloads and install it to your computer which is why it is important that you have an up-to-date antivirus program running to keep your system protected from these kinds of threats. Aside from that, it is also important that you keep your system updated so that cyber crooks won’t be able to exploit any system vulnerabilities.
As you can tell, this Trojan miner program, just like the others, is a program that steals and exploits your computer’s resources as well as your electricity so it can profit from them. In order to get rid of this Trojan, carefully follow the removal guide below to get rid of Soft Cores.
Step 1: Open your Task Manager by tapping Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard.
Step 2: Once the Task Manager is opened, go to the Processes tab and locate the Systemcore.exe and ssc 1.12 processes and end each one of their processes.
Step 3: Close the Task Manager and open Control Panel by pressing the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then tap Enter or click OK.
Step 4: Look for any suspicious programs that might be related to Soft Cores and then uninstall it.
Step 5: Close Control Panel and then tap the Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
Step 6: Navigate to the following locations.
Step 7: Look for the malicious files created by Soft Cores such as Systemcore.exe and ssc 1.12 as well as other malicious files that could be associated with Soft Cores Trojan miner.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
The next step below is not recommended for you if you don’t know how to navigate the Registry Editor. Making registry changes can highly impact your computer. So it is highly advised to use PC Cleaner Pro instead to get rid of the entries that the PUP created. Unlike Soft Cores, PC Cleaner Pro is a trusted program that helps in improving your computer’s overall performance by repairing any registry issues as well as optimizes your system. If you are not familiar with the Windows Registry skip to Step 14 onwards. However, if you are well-versed in making registry adjustments, then you can proceed to step 10.
Step 9: Open the Registry Editor, to do so, tap Win + R and type in regedit and then press enter.
Step 10: Go to the following locations and look for the registry keys and sub-keys created by Soft Cores Trojan.
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ssc 1.12
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Systemcore.exe
Step 12: Close the Registry Editor and empty your Recycle Bin.
Once you got rid of Soft Cores from your PC, follow the advanced guide below to get rid of the files it has created.
Perform a full system scan using SpyRemover Pro. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOSscreen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Optionuse the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Boxwill show up.
- Type in explorer http://www.fixmypcfree.com/install/spyremoverpro
A single space must be in between explorer and http. Click OK.
- A dialog box will be displayed by Internet Explorer. Click Run to begin downloading the program. Installation will start automatically once download is done.
- Click OK to launch it.
- Run SpyRemover Pro and perform a full system scan.
- After all the infections are identified, click REMOVE ALL.
- Register the program to protect your computer from future threats.