What is Untabs virus? Untabs virus is another browser hijacker created for the sole purpose of displaying pop-ups and ads on your computer. It is annoying to keep seeing a parade of pop-ups and ads every time you browse the internet. If you are currently experiencing the effects of this Untabs virus, we will help you resolve it with the help of our quick and easy steps provided below. To put it simply, this article will guide you into removing another browser hijacker, the Untabs virus.
Apart from displaying endless ads and pop-ups, another ability of all browser hijackers like the Untabs virus is that it changes your default homepage and search provider as well. Untabs virus can also activate page redirects or generate annoying pop-ups that may lead you to a shady websites which is full of infected links or downloads.
Browser hijackers like the Untabs virus hardly provides any helpful or actual information. Developers of browser hijackers take advantage of naïve users to generate pay-per click revenue. Although browser hijackers are not as harmful as Ransomware or Trojan horses, they can also be the cause of such viruses getting into your computer, so don’t let those seemingly harmless pop-ups and ads deceive you for they can be used as a tool for an even more severe threat that could infect your computer and compromise your security.
How does Untabs virus get distributed? Like most unwanted programs, browser hijackers like this are often added to the computers’ browsers by simply clicking a link, downloading spam emails attachments or clicking pop-ups and ads.
How to Remove the Untabs virus:
Step 1: Reboot your computer into Safe Mode.
Step 2: Go to the Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc at the same time. Proceed to the Processes tab and look for the Untabs virus and any suspicious processes.
Right-click on the files, then click Open File Location and scan them using your updated antivirus. After opening their folders, end their processes and delete their folders. If the virus scanner fails to detect something that you know is suspicious, don’t hesitate to delete it.
Step 3: Go to Control Panel by pressing the Start key + R to launch Run and type appwiz.cpl in the search box and click OK.
Look for Untabs virus application and other related infection and then click Uninstall. Click the Windows button and type msconfig in the search box and hit Enter to Open System Configuration. Go to Startup and unmark items with an unknown manufacturer.
Step 4: Press the Start key+R and type the following:
This file will open which will determine if you are hacked through a bunch of IP addresses at the bottom:
Open the start menu by clicking the Windows button and search for Network Connections using the search box and hit Enter.
- Right-click on your Network Adapter, go to Properties, Internet Protocol Version 4 (ICP/IP), then click Properties.
- The DNS line will be set to Obtain DNS server automatically.
- Select Advanced on the DNS tab, and if there is anything there, remove it and click OK.
- Find the Google Chrome’s shortcut on your computer and Right-click and select Properties.
- After selecting Properties, go to Shortcut, erase Untabs virus or anything after .exe, and click OK.
- Close Google Chrome and Navigate to:
C:/Users/!!!!USER NAME!!!!/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data
- Look for the folder named Default and rename it to Backup Default.
- Restart Google Chrome.
- Launch Internet Explorer and click the Settings icon and select Manage Add-ons.
- Look for Untabs virus or other suspicious add-ons and select Disable. Go to Settings, then Internet Options and change the URL to anything you use and click Apply.
- Launch Mozilla Firefox, click the tab labeled Firefox and select Add-ons, then Extensions.
- Locate Untabs virus and Remove.
- Close Mozilla.
Step6: Navigate to:
C:/Users/!!!!USER NAME!!!!/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User Data.
Look for the folder named Default and rename it to Backup Default.
Step 7: Go to the Registry Editor.
Before you proceed, it is always better if you create a backup of any files you want to modify by exporting it to any desired location.
Once you’ve opened the Registry Editor, press Ctrl + F and type in Untabs virus or simply Untabs, right-click and delete any entries with the same name as Untabs virus. If you can’t find any Untabs virus, look for it manually under these directories:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER- -Software-Microsoft- -Internet Explorer- -Main- -Random
It would also be best to scan your computer for any threats like Untabs virus using a proven and trusted antivirus and anti malware software like SpyRemover Pro. Which also offers a 24/7 tech support, so if you have further concerns you can reach them right away.