What is Getyourrecipesnow.com? And how does it work?
Getyourrecipesnow.com is a browser extension that works on Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox and even Internet Explorer. It supposedly provides users with quick and easy recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. It claims to give users with tons of continuously updated fresh meal ideas. If you love cooking then you might be inclined to install this browser extension on your browser. However, you should know that security experts actually categorize this extension as a browser hijacker that hijacks the settings of the affected browser.
If installed, Getyourrecipesnow.com will change the default settings on your browsers such as the new tab page, homepage, and even the search provider. As a result, every time you open your browser, you will see Getyourrecipesnow.com. You will also notice the sudden appearance of sponsored contents from this browser hijacker’s affiliated sites. These sponsored contents might seem harmless, however, some of them are misleading ones and could even redirect you to suspicious websites that might potentially harm your computer. Aside from unwanted redirects, this browser hijacker also monitors all your browsing activities in order to gather browsing information such as:
- Email address
- IP address
- Device-specific data (hardware model and operating system)
- Data about crashes, system activity, hardware settings, and browser language
- Search queries and all related search data
- Date and time of query request and referral URL
- Your Browser Type
- Source of traffic acquisition
- Your geographic location
- The domain name of your Internet Search Provider (ISP)
- And other browsing-related data
The data obtained is then processed and used to produce more customized and personalized advertisements. Not only that, as the data might also be shared with its affiliated sites. Therefore, if you continue using Getyourrecipesnow.com, you are risking your personal information to cybercrooks that might misuse them. Before it’s too late, you have to delete this browser hijacker from your browser as soon as possible.
How is Getyourrecipesnow.com disseminated online?
Getyourrecipesnow.com is disseminated using a technique called software bundling. This kind of method has been utilized by cyber crooks in distributing unwanted programs like Getyourrecipesnow.com for a long time now. So if you install software bundles, you have to use the Custom or Advanced setup rather than the standard one in order to remove and avoid installation of any extra programs added in the package.
You can delete Getyourrecipesnow.com from your computer by following the instructions provided below.
Step 1: Start the removal process by closing all the browsers infected with Getyourrecipesnow.com. If you’re having a hard time closing them, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 2: After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the infected browser’s process and end it.
Step 3: Then close the Task Manager and open Control Panel – to do so, tap the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 4: After pulling up Control Panel, from the list of installed programs, look for Getyourrecipesnow.com or any suspicious program you don’t remember installing and then Uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the host’s file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Getyourrecipesnow.com.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Getyourrecipesnow.com or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 7: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 8: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 9: Close the File Explorer.
Step 10: Empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of Getyourrecipesnow.com as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.