What is Grafimatriux ransomware? And how does it execute its attack?
Grafimatriux ransomware is a data-encrypting malware designed to encrypt important files in a computer. This new crypto-malware seems to be targeting Russian-speaking users based on its ransom note which is written in Russian language. It uses the “.Защищено RSA-2048” extension in marking the files it encrypts.
Once it starts to execute its attack, it drops its payload file in the system and initiates a sequence of malicious activities with the purpose of plaguing essential system settings and processes. It downloads other malicious components and places them to system folders. It then modifies the registry keys and sub-keys like Run and RunOnce in the Windows Registry to allow the automatic execution of the attack every time a user turns on the infected computer which makes its attack persistent. It also employs data gathering and stealth protection modules in order to collect sensitive information in the system and to evade security and antivirus programs. After all the modifications are completed, Grafimatriux ransomware will begin the encryption process using the RSA 2048 encryption algorithm. Following data encryption, it appends the “. Защищено RSA-2048” suffix to every affected file and opens its ransom note named “Как все эту шалашкину контору расшифровать.txt”. Here’s the content of the ransom note translated from Russian to English:
“Hello my dear friend! Yes, I am a mean greedy but I have to say it … forgive … but ……. all your files … are encrypted! 1 !! 11 !! 11! 1: DDDDDDDDD The RSA algorithm! 2048 bits! 4096 too lazy! It is based on primes it. I’ll tell you just now. Write to
[email protected] We provide: Free decryption, Paid decryption (and Contractual decryption)
* Contractual decryption – if you have old-time files that you have been collecting for many years, then the decoder is provided free of charge. Paid decryption costs – 50 rubles in bitcoins, the wallet will be made unique for you.
* You can decrypt 5 files with a size of 5 MB or less for free. I am not deceiving you, + I give payment tips for improving security and instructions for decrypting.
* * – Services are provided if you write a letter for us with a file Extremely important infa.RSA-2048 file”
If you are one of the unfortunate users whose files are compromised by the Grafimatriux ransomware, you must not, under any circumstance, contact the crooks behind this crypto-malware since there is no guarantee that they will give you the decryptor once you pay the ransom. The best thing that you can do is to kill this ransomware’s processes from your computer first and then try other alternative ways to recover your encrypted files.
How does Grafimatriux ransomware proliferate?
At the time of writing, it isn’t clear yet how exactly Grafimatriux ransomware proliferates but it may be using malicious spam email campaign so you have to be cautious in clicking any links on the emails you receive as well as refrain from downloading email attachments unless you’re certain that it’s a legitimate file since crooks tend to disguise malware-lade emails to trick users into opening them. It is also recommended that you keep both your computer and its antivirus programs updated to prevent cyber threats like Grafimatriux ransomware from infiltrating your computer.
Kill Grafimatriux ransomware by using the removal guide provided below.
Step 1: First, tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys in your keyboard to open the Task Manager.
Step 2: Under the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for a process named “Cossy.exe” as well as any suspicious-looking process that takes up most of your CPU’s resources and is most likely related to Grafimatriux ransomware.
Step 3: After that, close the Task Manager.
Step 4: Tap Win + R, type in appwiz.cpl and click OK or tap Enter to open Programs and Features under Control Panel.
Step 5: Under the list of installed programs, look for Grafimatriux ransomware or anything similar and then uninstall it.
Step 6: Next, close Control Panel and tap Win + E keys to launch File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following locations below and look for Grafimatriux ransomware’s malicious components such as Cossy.exe, Как все эту шалашкину контору расшифровать.txt , [random].exe and other suspicious files, then delete all of them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Before you proceed to the next steps below, make sure that you are tech savvy enough to the point where you know exactly how to use and navigate your computer’s Registry. Keep in mind that any changes you make will highly impact your computer. To save you the trouble and time, you can just use [product-name], this system tool is proven to be safe and excellent enough that hackers won’t be able to hack into it. But if you can manage Windows Registry well, then by all means go on to the next steps.
Step 9: Tap Win + R to open Run and then type in regedit in the field and tap enter to pull up Windows Registry.
Step 10: Navigate to the following path:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
- HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\
Step 11: Delete the registry keys and sub-keys created by Grafimatriux ransomware.
Step 12: Close the Registry Editor and empty the Recycle Bin.
Try to recover your encrypted files using the Shadow Volume copies
Restoring your encrypted files using Windows’ Previous Versions feature will only be effective if Grafimatriux ransomware hasn’t deleted the shadow copies of your files. But still, this is one of the best and free methods there is, so it’s definitely worth a shot.
To restore the encrypted file, right-click on it and select Properties, a new window will pop-up, then proceed to Previous Versions. It will load the file’s previous version before it was modified. After it loads, select any of the previous versions displayed on the list like the one in the illustration below. And then click the Restore button.
Complete the removal process of Grafimatriux ransomware by using a trusted and reliable program like [product-name]. Refer to the following guidelines on how to use it.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.