Surf-live.com is a French browser hijacker that is categorized as an adware disguised as a search engine that is monitored by the Coinup Ltd. Most users install it unknowingly since it is distributed through software bundles. If installed, this browser hijacker changes your browser’s settings such as the start page which is changed to hxxp://Surf-live.com/ that makes the browser launch it automatically once you open it as well as when you open a new tab.
These browser redirects can get really annoying. Not only you are bombarded with the constant popping of ads, banners, fake software updates and whatnot, this browser hijacker can also pose a threat to your security and privacy. That’s why it is highly suggested to remove the likes of this browser hijacker from your computer before it can do further damage.
The main intent of browser hijackers like Surf-live.com is to deliver ads to the user. Although not necessarily malicious, this adware can still harm your computer through the ads it promotes. These ads are sponsored by third parties who are only after revenue they get by pay-per click. As you can tell, you should not let your guard down when it comes to adware since some of the ads it displays may contain a corrupted link or may redirect you to a suspicious website. Apart from that, this browser hijacker monitors your online activity for the purpose of sending you ads according to your preferences which it obtained through your search queries, websites you frequently visit, etc. This can be alarming because it collects your information like login details such as your email address and passwords. No wonder spam emails with infected attachments find their way to your inbox because of this. Moreover, the Surf-live.com browser hijacker also displays fake software updates which should alarm warning bells. Fake software updates like these are often the gateway for other viruses to infiltrate your computer. So you have to get rid of it as soon as possible. We provided a couple of steps below to guide you in removing Surf-live.com from your browsers and computer.
Getting rid of Surf-live.com from your browsers:
- Open Chrome and press Alt + F keys.
Go to More tools and click Extensions to look for Surf-live.com.
- Click the Recycle bin and select Remove.
- Restart Chrome and press Alt + F keys again.
- Proceed to On Startup and mark Open a specific page or set of pages.
- To check if the browser hijacker is still active, click Set pages, if it is active, overwrite the URL.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and press Ctrl + Shift + A.
- Go to Extensions and remove Surf-live.com.
- Restart Mozilla Firefox.
- Press Alt + T and select Options.
- If the browser hijacker is still there, go to the General menu and overwrite the unwanted URL.
- Open Internet Explorer and press Alt + T keys.
- Choose Internet Options and click the General tab.
- If your home page is still hxxp://Surf-live.com/, overwrite the URL and click OK.
- Restart Internet Explorer.
Removing any residues of the Surf-live.com.com browser hijacker:
- Go to the Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc at the same time. Proceed to the Processes tab and look for the Surf-live.com or other related suspicious processes.
Right-click on the processes, then click Open File Location and scan them using a powerful and trusted antivirus like SpyRemover Pro. After opening their folders, end their processes and delete their folders. If the virus scanner fails to detect something that you know is suspicious, don’t hesitate to delete it.
Open Control Panel by pressing Start key + R to launch Run and type appwiz.cpl in the search box and click OK.
- 5. Scan your computer using a reliable antivirus and anti malware program like SpyRemover Pro