What is Opti-Page.com? And how does it work?
Opti-Page.com is a browser extension that works as a search engine. It is created by Babylon Ltd., claiming that this search engine generates improved search results and improves users’ browsing experience. No matter how legitimate this search engine may look, it actually can’t be trusted as it belongs to the browser hijacker and potentially unwanted program categories. In other words, it can’t be trusted.
If installed, Opti-Page.com will make unauthorized changes to your browsers’ settings. This is the reason why it is classified as a browser hijacker in the first place. This browser hijacker reassigns itself as the default search engine. And if you think that its searching capabilities are passable, think again – its search results are generated from an unknown database, not to mention that most of the contents in the search results are from third parties. Meaning to say, when you search for some query using Opti-Page.com, it will mostly give you sponsored content in the form of pop-ups, banners, in-text links, and so on.
How does Opti-Page.com circulate the web?
Just like a typical browser hijacker, Opti-Page.com is offered as a part of a software bundle’s extra components. And note that in this kind of software package, these add-ons are not outright presented to users unless they select the Custom or Advanced setup which most users don’t really use as they prefer the quick setup. As a result, browser hijackers like Opti-Page.com often end up getting installed without users’ knowledge. To prevent this from happening, you must always opt for the Custom or Advanced setup instead of the quick one to avoid unauthorized installation of unwanted programs.
To get rid of Opti-Page.com from your computer, refer to the instructions laid out below.
Step 1: The first thing you need to do to delete Opti-Page.com is to open the Control Panel. To do so, tap the Windows key + R, then type in appwiz.cpl and then click OK or press Enter.
Step 2: Look for any suspicious program that is affiliated with Opti-Page.com and then Uninstall it.
Step 3: Close all the browsers infected with Opti-Page.com. If you’re having a hard time closing them, you can close them using the Task Manager just tap on Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
Step 4: After you open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and look for the infected browser’s process and end it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the host’s file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries containing Opti-Page.com.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Reset all your browsers to default to their default state.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt + F, move to More tools, and click Extensions.
- Look for Opti-Page.com or any other unwanted add-ons, click the Recycle Bin button, and choose Remove.
- Restart Google Chrome, then tap Alt + F, and select Settings.
- Navigate to the On Startup section at the bottom.
- Select “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
- Click the More actions button next to the hijacker and click Remove.
- Open the browser and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Tap Alt + T and select Internet options.
- Click the General tab and then overwrite the URL under the homepage section.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Step 7: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 8: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 9: Close the File Explorer.
Step 10: Empty the Recycle Bin.
Follow the advanced instructions below to ensure the removal of Opti-Page.com as well as all the file residues it left behind using a trusted program named [product-name].
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box wll show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.