The Elder Scrolls Online is officially going back to Morrowind. Bethesda just announced the news as part of a livestream. A trailer was released onto YouTube at the same time.
Bethesda calls the new Morrowind expansion a “sweeping adventure” through the strange and magical land of Vvardenfell – a world we first saw in 2002’s classic game, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
The expansion is scheduled to be released June 6 of this year. As you might expect from a Bethesda game, the fate of Vvardenfell depends on your heroism.
Your goal is to help Vivec, the legendary warrior-poet and guardian of Vvardenfell, to solve the mystery of his illness “regain his strength – and save the world from ultimate destruction”.
In the original Morrowind game, Vivec was a legendary figure. TESO is set 700 years before the events of that game, which means Vivec legend was only beginning to grow.
In the trailer, we see the volcano at the center of Vvardenfell erupting in spectacular fashion:
Vvardenfell Will Be the Largest Zone Added to the Elder Scrolls Online
Last month, data miners discovered a secret map of Vvardenfell hidden deep within the source code of the latest TESO update. People laughed it off as a coincidence, or an update that never came to fruition. However, it looks like these rumors are true: TESO is indeed going to Vvardenfell.
The map will be the same scale as it was in the original Elder Scrolls III game, which makes the Morrowind expansion the largest ever for The Elder Scrolls Online.
Some of the other features planned in this expansion pack include:
- The city of Vivec is still under construction, because it takes place roughly 700 years before the events of Morrowind
- New TESO players will be able to begin their adventures in Vvardenfell without completing any other TESO content first
- Level-scaling that was first introduced in last year’s One Tamriel update means that veteran players can travel to the island to enjoy level-appropriate adventures, even as newbie players are experiencing the same content
- The expansion will introduce TESO’s first new class, called the Warden, who wields nature-based magic and can summon a War Bear – a powerful animal ally you can see in the trailer above.
- A new PvP mode will be introduced, including a feature called Battlegrounds, which will allow you to fight 4v4v4 in arena-like environments in the Ashlands
TESO: Morrowind Pricing
Thinking of getting into TESO for the first time? The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind will be priced at $60 for new players, and it comes bundled with The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.
Meanwhile, current players will be able to upgrade for $40.
There will also be a digital collector’s edition available with bonuses like a grey War Bear, an armored horse, and Morag Tong customizations. Bethesda has also announced a physical collector’s edition which includes things like a model Dwarven Colossus Statue, all of the same digital content as the digital edition, and a map of Morrowind, among other goodies. That edition will be priced at $100.
Stay tuned for more information about The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind as we get closer to the release date in June!