What is Onmylike.com? And how does it work?
Onmylike.com is a suspicious browser extension that allegedly works as a search engine. This questionable search engine features a plain user interface that seems to resemble Google’s since it also allows users to search specifically for images, videos and news. However, even if it has similarities to the legitimate search engine, that does not make Onmylike.com safe to use. In fact it is categorized as a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program or PUP.
If installed, this browser hijacker will modify the default settings in the browser such as the default homepage, search engine and new tab page. The malicious plug-ins and code associated with this browser hijacker also imposes data collection technology such as cookies and other scripts that will hijack your browsing-related information which are categorized into two namely private user information and system metrics. The information this browser hijacker obtains is used to produce customized and personalized ads to lure you into clicking them. However, not all ads displayed by Onmylike.com can be trusted since some of them could redirect you to shady websites that might contain harmful content. Thus, you cannot browse safely unless you uninstall this browser hijacker from your computer.
How does Onmylike.com spread over the web?
Onmylike.com spreads the web using freeware and shareware. It is added as one of the extra programs in software bundles along with other unknown and unwanted programs. This is the reason why installing a software bundle is risky. You risk the chance of installing unwanted programs when you install free software packages. And to prevent unwanted programs like Onmylike.com from infiltrating your computer, you need to opt for the Advanced or Custom setup when installing freeware or shareware packages instead of using the standard option.
Uninstall Onmylike.com from your browser and your computer by using the instructions given below as a reference.
Step 1: The first thing you have to do is flush the DNS. To do so, right click on the Start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator). From there, type the “ipconfig /flushdns” command and hit Enter to flush the DNS.
Step 2: After that, restart your computer and then open all the browsers infected by Onmylike.com. Reset all the affected browsers to default to their default state.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Open Mozilla Firefox and tap Ctrl + Shift + A to access the Add-ons Manager.
- In the Extensions menu Remove the unwanted extension.
- Restart the browser and tap keys Alt + T.
- Select Options and then move to the General menu.
- Overwrite the URL in the Home Page section and then restart the browser.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
- Restart your computer.
Step 3: Next, tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and press Enter to open the Programs and Features in Control Panel.
Step 4: From the list of programs installed, look for Onmylike.com or any unfamiliar program that could be related to it under the list of installed programs and once you’ve found it, uninstall it.
Step 5: Edit your Hosts File.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open then type in %WinDir% and then click OK.
- Go to System32/drivers/etc.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad.
- Delete all the entries that contain Onmylike.com.
- After that, save the changes you’ve made and close the file.
Step 6: Hold down Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer.
Step 7: Navigate to the following directories and look for suspicious files associated to the browser hijacker such as the software bundle it came with and delete it/them.
Step 8: Close the File Explorer.
Step 9: Empty the contents of Recycle Bin.
Refer to the advanced instructions given below to ensure the removal of this browser hijacker from your computer as well as all the file residues it left behind.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.