If you are one of the users who got the Blue Screen error saying, “A component of the operating system has expired with error code 0xc0000605”, read on as this post will show you what you can do to fix it. This kind of problem may occur randomly – for instance, if you have made changes in the BIOS as of late, chances are you might be confronted with this issue. In addition, it could also occur if your system has automatically applied some unwanted changes.
The Winload.exe, also known as Windows Boot Loader, is started by the BOOTMGR boot manager process and is utilized by the Windows operating system in loading important device drivers and so on. And if it ends up getting corrupted, you will most likely get this error. To resolve it, refer to the given options below and see which one works best for you.
Option 1 – Try to run the Startup Repair
In the Blue Screen where the “A component of the operating system has expired with error code 0xc0000605” error is displayed, tap the F8 key to go to the Startup Settings where you can find Startup Repair and then run it. Note that this is a must try option especially if you are unable to start your computer and if you can use your computer for a few moments.
Option 2 – Try resetting the BIOS
If you have made some modifications in the BIOS which triggered this error, you have to revert those changes to resolve the issue. On the other hand, if you have made a couple of changes and you do not remember which is which, you might have to reset the BIOS.
Option 3 – Try running the System File Checker
System File Checker or SFC is a built-in command utility which helps in restoring corrupted files as well as missing files. It replaces bad and corrupted system files to good system files. To run the SFC command, follow the steps given below.
- Tap Win + R to launch Run.
- Type in cmd in the field and tap Enter.
- After opening Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Option 4 – Run the DISM tool
There are instances when this issue is caused by the Windows System Image so you need to repair it using the DISM or Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management tool. The DISM tool is another command-line tool in the Windows operating system that could help users fix various corrupted system files. To use it, follow these steps:
- Open the Command Prompt as admin.
- Then type in this command: Dism /Online /CheckHealth
- Do not close the window if the process takes a while as it will probably take a few minutes to finish.
Option 5 – Try resetting Windows 10
To fix the “A component of the operating system has expired with error code 0xc0000605” error, you can try resetting Windows 10. Doing so won’t get rid of any file in your system – instead of erasing al your media files and documents, this reset option resets all the system settings and files.
Option 6 – Try running the Blue Screen Troubleshooter
The Blue Screen troubleshooter is a built-in tool in Windows 10 that can be found in the Settings Troubleshooters page. To use it, refer to these steps:
- Tap the Win + I keys to open the Settings panel.
- Then go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- From there, look for the option called “Blue Screen” on your right-hand side and then click the “Run the troubleshooter” button to run the Blue Screen Troubleshooter and then follow the next on-screen options. Note that you might have to boot your PC into Safe Mode.
There is also a one-click solution known as [product-name] you could check out to resolve the “A component of the operating system has expired with error code 0xc0000605” Blue Screen Error. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions for downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.